"MICHAEL-CHURCH, a parish in the hundred of PAINSCASTLE, County of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 4 1/2 miles (S. W.) from Kington, containing 159 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church, is situated at the south-eastern extremity of the county, bordering upon Herefordshire, and is sometimes called Michael-Church upon Arrow, from its position on the banks of that river : it extends about four miles in length and three miles in breadth,...................The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Kington, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, ............ This parish has the privilege of sending poor children to he gratuitously instructed in the free grammar school of Kington, in the county of Hereford. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £ 119..........." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Church of St Michael, Michaelchurch-on-Arrow on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site. "St Michael's church lies in the extreme east of Radnorshire, a short distance from the border with England and 8km from Kington........"
Michaelchurch-on-Arrow Parish; Statistics; Area 1926 acres; Population 87 males, 67 females, total 155 [?]
Michaelchurch Parish Church Attendance - (average) morning 30, afternoon 60 (alternately) Edward Watkins, Churchwarden
Primitive Methodist, Michael Church upon Harrow Not a separate building Attendance - (average) afternoon 30 "This is a private Dwelling occupied by a trades man and in which we meet for Divine Service sometimes every week and sometimes but once in a fortnight on the week Nights and atended to by diferent Local Preachers and Minesters of the Primitive Methodists Denomination" William Went, Local preacher and Class Leader, Carpenter, Huntingdon, nr Kingston
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
Baptisms 1741-1988 ; Marriages 1741-1964; Burials 1741-1993
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the Hereford Archives and/or Powys Archives.
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the Hereford Archives and/or Powys Archives
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Llanfihangel Dyffryn Arwy / Michaelchurch-on-Arrow which are provided by:
Michaelchurch manorial records 1754-1849 "Michaelchurch was a manor in Michaelchurch-on-Arrow, Radnorshire, on the border with Herefordshire. By the mid eighteenth century the lords of the manor were the Trumper family."
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Llanfihangel Dyffryn Arwy / Michaelchurch-on-Arrow
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO247506 (Lat/Lon: 52.148497, -3.101941), Llanfihangel Dyffryn Arwy / Michaelchurch-on-Arrow which are provided by: