We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


  • National Gazetteer, 1868
  • Lewis 1833

    National Gazetteer, 1868

    [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
    "MICHAELCHURCH-ON-ARROW, a parish in the hundred of Painscastle, county Radnor, ...............(content removed as confusing and inaccurate) ........ The church is dedicated to St. Michael."

    [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
    Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

    These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

    A Topographical Dictionary of Wales Samuel Lewis, 1833

    MICHAEL-CHURCH, a parish in the hundred of PAINSCASTLE, County of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 4 1/2 miles (S. W.) from Kington, containing 159 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church, is situated at the south-eastern extremity of the county, bordering upon Herefordshire, and is sometimes called Michael-Church upon Arrow, from its position on the banks of that river : it extends about four miles in length and three miles in breadth, and comprises some good tracts of arable and pasture land, which are enclosed and in a tolerable state of cultivation. The surrounding scenery, especially on the eastern and south-eastern sides of the parish, is agreeably diversified ; and the views over the adjacent country, from Huntingdon hill, abound with variety and interest. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Kington, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is not remarkable for any architectural details of importance. This parish has the privilege of sending poor children to he gratuitously instructed in the free grammar school of Kington, in the county of Hereford. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £ 119.


    (Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)