GENUKI Home page
Radnorshire Radnorshire   Contents & Search Contents   Parishes Radnorshire
Towns & Parishes

 

Miscellaneous

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"CEFNLLYS, (or Kevenlleece), a hundred in Radnorshire, contains the parishes of Cefnllys, Llandrindog, Pilleth, Blethvaugh, Llanbadarn-fawr, Llanfihangel-Rhydithon, and Whitton, with parts of Llandegley, Llandewy-Ystrad-denny, Llangynllo, and Abbey-cwmhir.

"COLWYN, a hundred of the southern potion of the county of Radnor; contains the parishes of Glascomb, Bettws-Disserth, Llansaintfraed, Disserth, Aberedw, Llanbadarn-y-Garregg, Rhulen, Cregrina, Llanelwedd, and Llanvareth. It is included in the deanery of Elwell."

"ELAN, a small river rising in county Radnor, which, after joining the river Clearwen, falls into the Wey below Rhayader. It is a good salmon stream."

"ITHON, a river which rises in county Radnor, and after a course of 30 miles joins the Wye above Builth."

"KNIGHTON, a hundred in county Radnor. It is situated in the N.E. division- of the county, and contains the parishes of Beguildy, Heyop, Knighton, Llananno, Llanbadarn-Fynyd, Llanbister, and parts of Abbey-cwm-hir, Brampton-Bryan, Llandewy-Ystradenny, and Llangynllo."

"LUG, a river of Wales, rises in Radnorshire, and after a course of 50 miles, in which it receives the waters of the Pinsley, Arrow, and Frome, joins the Wye near Mordisford in Herefordshire."

"NANERTH, a spot on the Upper Wye, county Radnor, 2 miles N.W. of Rhayader."

"PAINSCASTLE, a hundred in the county of Radnor, contains the parishes of Boughrood, Bryngwyn, Clyro, Llanbedi-Painscastle, Llandewyfach, Llandilo-Graban, Llanstephan, Llowes, Michaelchurch, Newchurch, and part of Glasbury."

"RADNOR, a hundred in the county of Radnor, contains the town of New Radnor, and the parishes of Colva, Gladestry, Norton, Old Radnor, and part of Presteign."

"RHAYADER, a hundred in the county of Radnor, contains the parishes of Cwm-Toyddwr, St. Harmon, Llanfihangel Helygen, Llanyre, Nantmel, and Rhayader."

"STANAGE, a lordship in the parish of Brampton Bryan, hundred of Knighton, county Radnor, 2 miles E. of Knighton, near the river Teme." [Brampton Bryan is included with co. Hereford ]

"STANNER PEAKS, a ridge of trap rocks in the county of Radnor, celebrated for their wild flowers, and called the Devil's Garden."

"TEME, a river of county Worcester, rises under Kerry Hill, on the borders of counties Radnor and Montgomery, and, after a course of nearly 60 miles, joins the Severn near Worcester."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[ 6 Dec 2007 - Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI