We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"NANTMEL (NANT-MAEL), a parish in the hundred of RHAIADR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (E. S. E.) from Rhaiadr, containing 1294 inhabitants. This parish is pleasantly situated on the small river Dulas, and the turnpike road from Rhaiadr to New Radnor passes through it. It extends for nearly eight miles in length and five in breadth, .......................... The living is a vicarage, with Llanyre annexed, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £ 11. 17. 6., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Cynllo, .............. There are places of worship for Baptists at Dolau, and for Independents at Cwrtgwyn. .................Two of the largest carneddau in the county are situated in this parish, one occupying the summit of Gwastedyn, and the other that of Camlo hill. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £ 626. 9............"  ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)


Browne, David M. A probable Roman marching camp near Nantmel, Radnorshire. Archaeology in Wales 27 (1987), p. 23

Morris, S T. Four generations of a dirty-boot farming family : the Morrises of Nantmel, 1830-1992. Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 63 1993    Welsh Journals Online

Nantmel tithe               Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 3 1933           Welsh Journals Online

Oliver, R C B    The Diary of Captain Frederick Jones             Radnorshire Society Transactions   Vol 56  1986         Welsh Journals Online  


Victorian Powys for schools site - Census figures for Nantmel parish 1841-1901


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Nantmel area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Church of St Cynllo , Nantmel

Church of St Cynllo, Nantmel on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Carmel  section (in Welsh) has been extracted  - with translation by Maureen Saycell (July 2009)

Nantmel Parish consisting of the Townships of Gwastedin, Maesgwyn, Coedlasson and Vainor; Statistics; Area 16387 acres; Population 749 males, 666 females, total 1415

  • Gwastadin Township
  • Maescelyn, Baptist     Dwelling House      Attendance - (average) 75      "There has been a Sunday School kept in this place for the seven last years but closed for the last Nine Months, its general numbers was from 35 to 40 scholars and will be reopened in a short time. Books and Teachers all gratis."            Lewis Jones, Deacon, Holmes, Rhayadr
  • Maesgwyn Township
  • No returns
  • Coedlasson Township
  • Goosetree Chapel, Wesleyans    Erected 1842     Attendance - evening 27        Richard Wilding, Wesleyan Local Preacher, Bridgend, nr Penybont
  • Vainor Township
  • Nantmel Parish Church      Attendance - (average) morning 80 + 20 scholars    1 service in English in the church and chapel       "Congregations are much affected by the state of the weather in this church many of the congregation having to walk or ride 4 or 5 miles and in some cases more (illegible)  very many of the Inhabitants attend other Parish Churches being more convenient to them"     James John Evans, Curate
  • Doleu Chapel, Baptist   Erected before 1800      Attendance - morning 106, afternoon 34 scholars, evening 88     ".........on fine weather the average number of attendants at the Evening Service is about 150"         David Davies, Minister
  • Carmel, Independent          Erected about 1829         Attendance -  (average) general congregation 80; scholars 11            Thomas Evans, Minister

Church Records

Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

  • Baptisms 1742-1992; Marriages 1742-1980; Burials 1742-1992; Banns 1823-1998
    Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW and/or Powys Archives.  
    Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW   

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Nantmel which are provided by:

Aerial photograph of Nantmel Roman Marching Camp - on the People's Collection Wales site


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Nantmel has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Nantmel War Memorial - on the Roll of Honour site

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Penlanole Estate sale particulars  1910    "The Penlanole estate included lands in the parishes of Nantmel, Llanwrthwl, St Harmon and Abbey Cwmhir, Radnorshire"


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO034663 (Lat/Lon: 52.286287, -3.417636), Nantmel which are provided by:

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

Victorian Powys for schools - Map of Nantmel in 1904, and 1840

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Nantmel Parish and Community Council records  1840-1996