"NANTMEL, a parish in the hundred of Rhayader, county Radnor, 4 miles S.E. of Rhayader, its post town, and 11 from Builth. It is situated on the river Dulas, and is 8 miles by 5 in extent, comprising the townships of Coedglasson, Gwaestedin-fawr, Maesgwin, and Vainor, also Llyn Gwin and two camps. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £400, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Cynllo. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum. There is a chapel for the Independents."
"COEDLASSON, (or Coedglasson), a township in the parish of Nantmel, in the hundred of Rhayader, in the county of Radnor, 4 miles E. of Rhayader, its post town."
"GWASTEDIN-FAWR, a township in the parish of Nantmel, county Radnor, 4 miles S.E. of Rhayader. It is situated near Elain and the river Dulas. The village is considerable."
"MAESGWYN, a township in the parish of Nantmel, hundred of Rhayader, county Radnor, 4 miles S.E. of Rhayader. Lake Gwyn is near this place. Llwynbaried House is the chief seat."
"VAINOR, a township in the parish of Nantmel, hundred of Rhayader, county Radnor, 4 miles S.E. of Rhayader, at the head of the river Dulas."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
NANTMEL (NANT-MAEL), a parish in the hundred of RHAIADR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (E. S. E.) from Rhaiadr, containing 1294 inhabitants. This parish is pleasantly situated on the small river Dulas, and the turnpike road from Rhaiadr to New Radnor passes through it. It extends for nearly eight miles in length and five in breadth, and comprises a large tract of good arable and pasture land, of which by far the greater portion is enclosed and cultivated. The surrounding scenery is agreeably diversified, and that part of the parish through which the road from New Radnor to Rhaiadr passes is pleasingly picturesque, the vale being on one side finely wooded. The banks of the small river Dulas are in some parts ornamented with features of pleasing character ; and a fine sheet of water, called Llyn Gwyn, one mile in circumference, and abounding with carp and eels, adds greatly to the beauty of the scenery. Llwynbarried, the property of -- Evans, Esq., and another seat, belonging to - Chapman, Esq., are in this parish. The living is a vicarage, with Llanyre annexed, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £ 11. 17. 6., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Cynllo, and situated under a steep bank above the turnpike road, was rebuilt in the year 1792: it is a neat edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, with an embattled tower, which forms an interesting object from several points of view. There are places of worship for Baptists at Dolau, and for Independents at Cwrtgwyn. A farm in this parish, called Penfynnon, is charged with the annual payment of £ 5 to the poor, under the will of Hugh Philips ; and a small donation of land for the same purpose was bequeathed by John Davis, in 1718. Two of the largest carneddau in the county are situated in this parish, one occupying the summit of Gwastedyn, and the other that of Camlo hill. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £ 626. 9.
COEDGLASEN (COED-GLEISION), a township in the parish of NANTMEL, hundred of RHAIADR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 5 1/2 miles (E. by S.) from Rhaiadr, containing 216 inhabitants. It is situated on the western bank of the Clywedog brook, and on the south-eastern declivity of Camlo hill. The name signifies the green wood, and was formerly characteristic of the township, which was well covered with timber.
GWASTEDYN (GWASTADEDD-VAWR), a township in the parish of NANTMEL, hundred of Rhaiadr, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 2 miles (E. by S.) from Rhaiadr, containing 423 inhabitants. It is situated at the western extremity of the parish, and a great part of it is occupied by a very Iofty hill, on which one of the largest, if not the most perfect, carneddau in the county is found. It consists of a large pile of stones, supposed to contain between thirty and forty cart-loads, thrown into nearly a square form, with a hollow in the centre ; but this ancient sepulchral monument has sustained so much injury from the destructive effect of ages, that few traces of order are now observable in its construction. Dyfryn wood terminates the declivity of this hill on the west; and the valley on the east is populous and well cultivated. The road from Builth to Rhaiadr passes along the left bank of the river Elain, which bounds the township, parish, and county on the south-west.
MAESGWYN (MAES-GWYN), a township in the parish of NANTMEL, hundred of RHAIADR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 2 miles (E.) from Rhaiadr, containing 340 inhabitants. It forms the south-eastern portion of the parish, and was formerly called Uwch Coed. At the base of the barren eminence termed Rhiw graidd, on the north-western side, is a fine sheet of water, about a mile in circumference, called Llyn Gwyn. Near this, and close to the left bank of the Dulais river, is Llwynbaried House, now the property of - Evans, Esq.
VAINOR (VAENOR), a township in the parish of NANTMEL, hundred of RHAIADR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (E. N. E.) from Rhaiadr, containing 315 inhabitants, the population having increased nearly one-third since the census of 1821. It comprises a vale in the upper part of the parish, near the source of the Dulas stream, which flows into the river Ithon.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 24 Oct 2005 Gareth Hicks]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996