GENUKI Home page NeighboursNearby places
Radnorshire Radnorshire   Contents Contents

NANTMEL

"NANTMEL (NANT-MAEL), a parish in the hundred of RHAIADR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (E. S. E.) from Rhaiadr, containing 1294 inhabitants. This parish is pleasantly situated on the small river Dulas, and the turnpike road from Rhaiadr to New Radnor passes through it. It extends for nearly eight miles in length and five in breadth, .......................... The living is a vicarage, with Llanyre annexed, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at 11. 17. 6., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Cynllo, .............. There are places of worship for Baptists at Dolau, and for Independents at Cwrtgwyn. .................Two of the largest carneddau in the county are situated in this parish, one occupying the summit of Gwastedyn, and the other that of Camlo hill. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to 626. 9............"  ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Bibliography

Browne, David M. A probable Roman marching camp near Nantmel, Radnorshire. Archaeology in Wales 27 (1987), p. 23

Morris, S T. Four generations of a dirty-boot farming family : the Morrises of Nantmel, 1830-1992. Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 63 1993    Welsh Journals Online

Nantmel tithe               Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 3 1933           Welsh Journals Online

Oliver, R C B    The Diary of Captain Frederick Jones             Radnorshire Society Transactions   Vol 56  1986         Welsh Journals Online  

Census

Victorian Powys for schools site - Census figures for Nantmel parish 1841-1901

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Church of St Cynllo , Nantmel

NANTMEL, St. Cynllo  1869-1881     - on the Church plans online site

Church of St Cynllo, Nantmel on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Carmel  section (in Welsh) has been extracted  - with translation by Maureen Saycell (July 2009)

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G   Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,  Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Nantmel Parish consisting of the Townships of Gwastedin, Maesgwyn, Coedlasson and Vainor; Statistics; Area 16387 acres; Population 749 males, 666 females, total 1415

Church Records

Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

Description and Travel

Nantmel Community Council

Aerial photograph of Nantmel Roman Marching Camp - on the People's Collection Wales site

Gazetteers

History

Nantmel War Memorial - on the Roll of Honour site

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Maps

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Victorian Powys for schools - Map of Nantmel in 1904, and 1840

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Return to top

Nantmel


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[ 21 Nov 2013 - Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.