"NEWCHURCH, a parish in the hundred of Painscastle, county Radnor, 7 miles S. of Radnor, and 7 from Kington, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Arrow. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's, value £171, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
NEWCHURCH, a parish in the hundred of PAINSCASTLE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 6 1/2 miles (S. W. by W.) from Kington, containing 164 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the small river Arrow, nearly on the confines of Herefordshire, and is intersected by a road leading from Hay to New Radnor. The surface is hilly and the soil various : the lower lands, which are fertile and productive, are in a state of good cultivation; but the hills are but very partially cultivated, and almost destitute of timber. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £5.6.8., endowed with £ 200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's : a small estate called Catriggin belongs to the rectory. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, without tower or spire, and possessing no architectural details of importance : it is situated on the right bank of the Arrow, in the midst of hills which are of forbidding rather than of pleasing aspect. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 86. 7..
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated: 17 Oct 2005 Gareth Hicks]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996