GENUKI Home page NeighboursNearby places
Radnorshire Radnorshire   Contents Contents

EGLWYS NEWYDD,YR / NEWCHURCH

"NEWCHURCH, a parish in the hundred of PAINSCASTLE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 6 1/2 miles (S. W. by W.) from Kington, containing 164 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the small river Arrow, nearly on the confines of Herefordshire, and is intersected by a road leading from Hay to New Radnor.......................The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at 5.6.8., endowed with 200 private benefaction, and 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's : a small estate called Catriggin belongs to the rectory. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, .................. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is 86. 7.. "  ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph  of ;

Church of St Mary, Newchurch on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G   Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,  Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Newchurch Parish (Diocese of St Davids); Statistics; Area 1788 acres; Population 84 males, 69 females, total 153

Church Records

Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

Gazetteers

Land and Property

Cutaway reconstruction drawing of Great House, Newchurch, Radnorshire - on the People's Collection Wales site

Maps

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

 

Return to top

Eglwys Newydd,Yr / Newchurch


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[ 21 Nov 2013 - Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI