Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"NORTON, a parish in the hundred and county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 2 1/2 miles (N. N. W.) from Presteign, containing 297 inhabitants. This parish, which is pleasantly situated in the eastern part of the county, bordering upon Herefordshire, and is intersected by the great turnpike road from North Wales to Presteign, .............The inhabitants of the village, which is seated on a small stream that falls into the river Lug, call this place a borough, and style themselves burgesses;..............The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £5, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew,................ A school for the gratuitous instruction of poor children is supported by Lady Brydges : the school-room, towards the erection of which Walter Wilkins, Esq., contributed £ 80, .......... .................The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £ 134. 5.. " ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Cole, E J Court Rolls of Presteigne and Norton Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 22 1952 Welsh Journals Online
Howse, W H Court Rolls of the Manor of Norton Radnorshire Society Transactions vol. 14 1944 Welsh Journals Online
Newman, C W Two churchyard gravestone surveys in Radnorshire Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 52 1982 Welsh Journals Online
Sylvester, Dorothy Glasbury, Norton, and the problem of the nucleated village in Radnorshire Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 37 1967 Welsh Journals Online
Church of St Andrew, Norton on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site
Norton Parish (Diocese of Hereford) ; Statistics; Area 3144 acres; Population 159 males, 135 females, total 294
- Norton Parish Church Attendance - (average) morning 120/150 + 30/40 scholars John Jenkins, Minister
- Preaching Room, Primitive Methodist Not used exclusively as a place of worship Erected 1849 Attendance morning 15, afternoon 11, evening 12 Joseph Hutchings, Minister, Broad St, Presteyne
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
- Baptisms 1704-1922; Marriages 1704-1971; Burials 1704-1984; Banns 1824-1982
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW and/or Powys Archives.
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the Hereford Archives and /or Powys Archives
You can see pictures of Norton (Nortyn) which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Norton (Nortyn) has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Price family of Norton deeds 1674-1905 "Richard Green (b. 1803), son of George Green of Knighton, esq., and Margaret, youngest daughter of Richard Price of Knighton, esq., assumed the additional surname Price in 1874 in accordance with the will of his maternal uncle, Richard Price, lord of the manor of Norton, esq., and was created a baronet in the same year."
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO304670 (Lat/Lon: 52.296667, -3.022030), Norton (Nortyn) which are provided by: