We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

NORTON - Gazetteers

  • National Gazetteer, 1868
  • Lewis 1833

    National Gazetteer, 1868

    [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
    "NORTON, a parish in the hundred and county of Radnor, 2 miles N. of Presteign, its post town, and 4 from Knighton. The village is of small extent, and chiefly agricultural. At a short distance beyond the village are the ruins of Oystermouth Castle, which have been partially restored at the expense of the Duke of Beaufort. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford, value £147. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has an embattled tower. Norton Hall is the principal residence."

    [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
    Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

    These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

    A Topographical Dictionary of Wales Samuel Lewis, 1833

    NORTON, a parish in the hundred and county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 2 1/2 miles (N. N. W.) from Presteign, containing 297 inhabitants. This parish, which is pleasantly situated in the eastern part of the county, bordering upon Herefordshire, and is intersected by the great turnpike road from North Wales to Presteign, comprises a considerable tract of arable and pasture land, of which the greater portion is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surrounding scenery, though not distinguished by any peculiarity, is pleasing and well wooded ; and the views, especially towards the east, embracing a portion of the county of Hereford, are interesting and diversified. The inhabitants of the village, which is seated on a small stream that falls into the river Lug, call this place a borough, and style themselves burgesses; but nothing satisfactory is recorded either of the time or the manner in which they obtained their privileges, which are but few and very obscurely defined : they are empowered to hold a court every two or three years, and it is said that the interval between these courts must not exceed four years. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £5, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a low tower. A school for the gratuitous instruction of poor children is supported by Lady Brydges : the school-room, towards the erection of which Walter Wilkins, Esq., contributed £ 80, is a neat and appropriate building. In the parish is the site of an ancient castle, of which no account can now be obtained. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £ 134. 5.

     

    (Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)