GENUKI Home page NeighboursNearby places
Radnorshire Radnorshire   Contents Contents

NORTON (NORTYN)

"NORTON, a parish in the hundred and county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 2 1/2 miles (N. N. W.) from Presteign, containing 297 inhabitants. This parish, which is pleasantly situated in the eastern part of the county, bordering upon Herefordshire, and is intersected by the great turnpike road from North Wales to Presteign, .............The inhabitants of the village, which is seated on a small stream that falls into the river Lug, call this place a borough, and style themselves burgesses;..............The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at 5, endowed with 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew,................ A school for the gratuitous instruction of poor children is supported by Lady Brydges : the school-room, towards the erection of which Walter Wilkins, Esq., contributed 80, .......... .................The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to 134. 5.. "  ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Bibliography

Cole, E J           Court Rolls of Presteigne and Norton            Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 22  1952      Welsh Journals Online

Howse, W H        Court Rolls of the Manor of Norton             Radnorshire Society Transactions      vol. 14  1944     Welsh Journals Online

Newman, C W               Two churchyard gravestone surveys in Radnorshire              Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 52  1982      Welsh Journals Online

Sylvester, Dorothy      Glasbury, Norton, and the problem of the nucleated village in Radnorshire        Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 37  1967      Welsh Journals Online  

Church History

NORTON, St. Andrew  1867-1869      -o n the Church plans online site

Church of St Andrew, Norton on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G   Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,  Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Norton Parish (Diocese of Hereford) ; Statistics; Area 3144 acres; Population 159 males, 135 females, total 294

Church Records

Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

Description and Travel

A punishment tree in Norton Graveyard - on the People's Collection Wales site

Gazetteers

History

Norton Village War Memorial - on the Roll of Honour site

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Maps

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

 

Return to top

Norton (Nortyn)


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[ 21 Nov 2013- Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.