GENUKI Home page NeighboursNearby places
Radnorshire Radnorshire   Contents Contents

PENCRAIG / OLD RADNOR

"RADNOR (OLD), or MAES-YVED-HEN, a parish, comprising the townships of Ednol, Evenjobb with Bareland, Harpton, Kinnarton with Badland, Old Radnor, and Walton, each supporting its own poor, in the liberties of the borough of NEW RADNOR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 2 1/2 miles (E. S. E.) from New Radnor, containing 1458 inhabitants. This place by the Welsh is also called Pen y Graig, which name it derives from the situation of its church on the summit of a rock............The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at 35. 1. 0 1/2., and in the possession of the Dean and, Chapter of Worcester, by whom a stipendiary curate is appointed and paid, and is further supported by the interest of 800 parliamentary grant. The church, dedicated to St. Stephen,.............. At Ednol and Kinnarton are chapels of ease to the mother church. There is a place of worship for Independents. ................The poor are maintained by an average annual expenditure amounting to 729. 17. for the entire parish, of which sum, 170. 10. is assessed on the township of Old Radnor. "  ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Bibliography

A short history of Old Radnor Parish Church. Hereford : Adams & Sons (Printers), [19--] 8p

Fenn, Roy W D.           Old Radnor parish church.              Radnorshire Society Transactions   Vol 58  1988         Welsh Journals Online

Howse, William H. The Church and parish of Old Radnor. Halesowen : H. Parkes, 1958.

Howse, William H. Radnor old and new. Kington : Mid-Border Books, 1989. 54p. Originally published: Hereford: Jakemans, 1944.

Phillips, W S     Lower House, and Cottage Farm; a study of two timber framed houses in the parish of Evenjobb      Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 37  1967      Welsh Journals Online

Sutton, Frederick H. Church organs : their position and construction, with an appendix containing some account of the mediaeval organ case still existing at Old Radnor, South Wales. Oxford : Positif Press, 1998. 48p. Facsim. of 3rd ed. published: London : Rivingtons, 1883.

Sykes, Marjorie. A border church in the Anglo-Welsh tradition : [St. Stephen's, Old Radnor]. Country Quest 30/4 (1989), p. 8-9

The organ case of Old Radnor Church            Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 22  1952      Welsh Journals Online

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Old Radnor St Stephen

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Mary's Church, Kinnerton

RADNOR, OLD, AND BURLINGJOBB, St. Stephen 1848-1854     - on the Church plans online site

Church of St Stephen, (St Ystyffan), Old Radnor on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site

Old Radnor Parish Church on the Castle Wales site

Old Radnor Church - on the Modern Antiquarian site

Medieval font at St Stephen's Church, Old Radnor  - on the People's Collection Wales site

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Gore chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G   Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,  Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Old Radnor Parish consisting of the Townships of Old Radnor and Burlingjobb;  Walton and Womaston;  Evenjobb, Newcastle, Barland and Burfa;  Kinnerton, Salford and Badland;  Ednol; and pt of Upper Harpton (the remainder of Harpton being in co, Hereford;  Statistics; Area 10069 acres; Population 668 males, 595 females, total 1263

Church Records

This parish included the township of Lower Harpton, Herefordshire

Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

Evancoyd- A parish formed out of Pencraig/Old Radnor in 1866, extant records are;

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Description and Travel

Old Radnor Castle on the Castle Wales site

Gazetteers

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Maps

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

 

Return to top

Pencraig / Old Radnor


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[ 21 Nov 2013 - Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.