"PILLETH, (or Pwll-llaith), a parish in the hundred of Cefnllys, county Radnor, 4 miles N.W. of Presteigne, and the same distance from Knighton. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Lug, where Glendower took Mortimer and many other prisoners in 1482. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £59, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities produce about £113, part of which goes to Child's free school."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
PILLITH (PWLL-LLAITH), a parish in the hundred of KEVENLLEECE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 3 3/4 miles (S. W.) from Knighton, containing 75 inhabitants. This place is distinguished as the scene of a memorable engagement which took place between the army of Owain Glyndwr and the forces under the command of Sir Edward Mortimer, in which the latter was taken prisoner, with the loss of eleven hundred of his men. This battle, which is noticed by Shakspeare in his play of Henry IV., was fought on the 22d of June, 1402, on a hilly common, about half a mile to the north of the church. The parish is situated on the river Lug, and extends for about three miles in length, and one mile and a half in breadth : the greater portion of the land is enclosed, and in a tolerable state of cultivation ; the surface is boldly undulated ; and the soil, especially in the lower grounds, is fertile and productive : in many parts of the parish is dug peat of excellent quality. The living is a vicarage not in charge, annexed to that of Llangunllo, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £ 800 royal bounty. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, consisting only of a nave and chancel, and not remarkable for any architectural details. The poor children of this parish are entitled to gratuitous instruction in the school founded at Whitton, by Lady Child, of this parish, who endowed it with lands producing more than £ 100 per annum, and under the provisions of whose will one child of this parish is annually apprenticed. On a common in the northern part of the parish are a few scattered houses, forming a place called Hen dre'r Garreg, or " the old town of the rock." In the churchyard is a well, the water of which is said to be peculiarly efficacious in the cure of all diseases of the eye. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £5l. 12.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 17 Oct 2005 Gareth Hicks]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996