"RHULEN, (or Rulen), a chapelry in the parish of Glascomb, hundred of Colwyn, county Radnor, 7 miles from Builth, its post town, 6 S.E. of Radnor, and the same distance N.W. of Hay. It is situated on the river Edwy. The land is of a hilly character, and part waste. Near Harpton are the Blaen Edwy sulphur springs. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Glascomb, in the diocese of St. David's."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
RULEN (RHULEN), a parochial chapelry in the hundred of COLWYN, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (E. by S.) from Builth, containing 119 inhabitants. Its surface is hilly, and its soil for the most part barren, the whole consisting of about five hundred acres of enclosed, and three hundred of unenclosed, land : it is skirted on the west by the river Edwy. In civil matters it forms an independent parish, but is ecclesiastically regarded as a chapelry consolidated with the vicarage of Glascomb, within the limits of which parish it was formerly included, the inhabitants having certain seats appropriated to their use in the mother church, to the repairs of which they still contribute. In the king's books it is described as a chapel to Glascomb, of the certified value of £4. 13. 4. The chapel, dedicated to St. David, is a small plain structure, situated about three-quarters of a mile from the river Edwy. Ten shillings per annum have been left to the poor by some unknown benefactor. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £116.5.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 22 Oct 2005 Gareth Hicks]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996