We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

St Harmon

"HARMON (ST.), a parish in the hundred of RHAIADR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Rhaiadr, containing 828 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from that of the saint to whom its church is dedicated, is pleasantly situated on the river Wye, by which it is separated from the adjacent parish of Cwm-toyddwr, and is about four miles in length, and, across the centre, nearly the same in breadth. ................This place constitutes a prebend in the collegiate church of Brecknock, rated in the king's books at £3. 17. 3 1/2., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £ 5. 15. 2 1/2., endowed with £ 800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Garmon, and rebuilt in the year 1823,...............There are places of worship for Anabaptists and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists ; and Sunday schools, in connexion with the established church and the several dissenting congregations, are supported by subscription. ...............the average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £326. 4.........."( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Bibliography

Brown, Roger L. St. Harmon before and after Kilvert. Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 63 1993    Welsh Journals Online

Courtney, Paul. A native-Welsh mediaeval settlement : excavations at Beili Bedw, St. Harmon, Powys. Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies 38 (1991), p. 233-55

Fenn, R W D        Who was St Harmon?       Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 36 1966         Welsh Journals Online

Fox, Cyril           Dyrysgol, St Harmons             Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 10  1940       Welsh Journals Online

Pugh, Jonathan Argoed             The parish and place names of St Harman              Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 4 1934       Welsh Journals Online  

Thompson, Tim    Agriculture and change in a nineteenth century  Radnorshire valley    Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 69 1999    Welsh Journals Online

Williams, David H. A faithful vicar of St Harmon: the Reverend Jonah Bowen Evans B.D. Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 71 2001    Welsh Journals Online

Williams, David H. A neglected Radnorshire cleric : the Reverend Jonah Bowen Evans, B.D. ('Cattwg'), Vicar of St. Harmon, 1845-76. Journal of Welsh Religious History 1 (1993), p. 81-111

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the St Harmon area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Church of St Harmon, St Harmon on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re

  • Bwlch-y-sarnau English Baptist Chapel
  • Nantgwyn English Baptist Chapel, near Pant-y-dwr

St Harmon Parish consisting of the Townships of Cenarth; Clase and Rhiwrhiad; Statistics; Area 12000 acres; Population 464 males, 394 females, total 858

  • Cenarth Township
  • Sychnant Calvinistic Methodist      Erected c1825   Private or Domestic Chappel         Attendance - (average) afternoon 60/90, evening 40/50        John Jones, Deacon, Pantydwr
  •  
  • Clase Township
  • St Harmon Parish Church       Attendance - (average) morning 205 + 35 scholars, afternoon 205 + 35 scholars (alternately ?)       1 service partially in Welsh and English        J B Evans, Vicar
  •  
  • Nantgwyn, Baptists     Erected 1792    Attendance - (average) morning 100, afternoon 40, evening 200                  David Davies, Minister
  • St Harmon Wesleyan Chapel, Wesleyan Methodists     Erected 1807     Attendance - morning 10, afternoon 27, evening 27     No Sunday school at present       John Jones, Wesleyan Minister, Llanidloes
  •  
  • Rhiwrhiad Township
  • No returns

Church Records

Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

  • Baptisms 1751-1754, 1757-1779, 1821-1865; Marriages 1751-1753, 1758-1971; Burials 1751-1754, 1757-1778, 1813-1889
    Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW and/or Powys Archives.  
    Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW  

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of St Harmon which are provided by:

Aerial photograph of Beili Bedw deserted settlement, St Harmon, 1998 - on the People's Collection Wales site

Gazetteers

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which St Harmon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

History

Victorian Powys for schools site - Kilvert of St Harmon

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Title deeds relating to Pencraig, in the parish of St Harmon   1670-1889     "In 1670, the house of Pencraig, St Harmon, Radnorshire, was owned by Arthur Powell. It then passed to Griffith Evans......."  
  • Penlanole Estate sale particulars  1910  "The Penlanole estate included lands in the parishes of Nantmel, Llanwrthwl, St Harmon and Abbey Cwmhir, Radnorshire."

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN988728 (Lat/Lon: 52.343877, -3.487007), St Harmon which are provided by:

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

Victorian Powys for schools site - Map of St Harmon in 1866

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Saint Harmon Community Council records  1839-1919

 

St Harmon