GENUKI Home page
St Harmon St Harmon   Contents & Search Contents

ST. HARMON


National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ST. HARMON, a parish in the hundred of Rhayader, county Radnor, 4 miles N.E. of Rhayader It is situated on a branch of the river Wye, and contains the hamlets of Clase, Kennarth, and Rhnwrriad. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value 161. The church is dedicated to St. Garmon.

"BWLCH-Y-CERNAN, a hamlet in the parish of St. Harmon, hundred of Rhayader, in the county of Radnor, South Wales, 6 miles to the N. of Rhayader."

"CENARTH, a township in the parish of St. Harmon, hundred of Rhayader, in the county of Radnor."

"CLAS, a township in the parish of St. Harmon, in the hundred of Rhayader, in the county of Radnor, 4 miles N. of Rhayader."

"KENNARTH, a township in the parish of St. Harmon, hundred of Rhayader, county Radnor, 4 miles N. of Rhayader. The village, which is considerable, is situated at a short distance from a branch of the river Wye. Slate abounds."

"RHIWRHIAD, a township in the parish of St. Harmon, hundred of Rhayader, county Radnor, 4 miles N.E. of Rhayader. It is situated on a branch of the river Wye."

"RHUWRRIAD, a township in the parish of St. Harmon, hundred of Rhayader, county Radnor, 3 miles N.E. of Rhayador. It is situated on a branch of the river Wye."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect our Conditions of Use.

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

HARMON (ST.), a parish in the hundred of RHAIADR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Rhaiadr, containing 828 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from that of the saint to whom its church is dedicated, is pleasantly situated on the river Wye, by which it is separated from the adjacent parish of Cwm-toyddwr, and is about four miles in length, and, across the centre, nearly the same in breadth. The lands are but partially enclosed, and only a portion of them is under cultivation : slate is found in the neighbourhood, and some quarries are worked in the parish, which is intersected by the high road from Rhaiadr to Llanidloes, in the county of Montgomery. This place constitutes a prebend in the collegiate church of Brecknock, rated in the king's books at 3. 17. 3 1/2., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at 5. 15. 2 1/2., endowed with 800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Garmon, and rebuilt in the year 1823, is a neat plain edifice, consisting of a nave, chancel, and aisles, without either tower or spire, having one small bell suspended beneath a shed. There are places of worship for Anabaptists and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists ; and Sunday schools, in connexion with the established church and the several dissenting congregations, are supported by subscription. The produce of some small charitable donations and bequests by unknown benefactors, amounting in the whole to fifty shillings, is annually distributed among the poor on New Year's day. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to 326. 4.

Bwnneiaid

BWNNEIAID, a township in the parish of ST. HARMON, hundred of RHAIADR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 5 1/2 miles (N. by E.) from Rhaiadr, The population is returned with the township of Clas-Garmon. This township consists of a mountainous district in the north-eastern portion of the parish, on the border of Montgomeryshire. The road from Rhaiadr to Llanidloes passes through it.

Clas-Garmon

CLAS-GARMON, a township in the parish of ST. HARMON, hundred of RHAIADR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (N.) from Rhaiadr, containing, with the township of Bwnneiaid, 428 inhabitants. It forms the north-western portion of the parish, which borders on Montgomeryshire. Two roads from Rhaiadr to Llanidloes pass through it, one along the left bank of the Wye, and the other, the more direct, after crossing the Mertyd brook, through the mountainous part of it. Clas hill is an extensive and bleak elevation in this township, chiefly appropriated in depasturing sheep.

KENNARTH

KENNARTH (CENARTH ), a township in the parish of ST. HARMON, hundred of RHAIADR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 2 1/2 miles (N. N. E.) from Rhaiadr, containing 400 inhabitants. It forms the lower, or southern, portion of the parish, and is intersected by the Merthyd brook, which joins the river Wye in the vicinity. The parish church stands in this township, and the road from Rhaiadr to Llanidloes passes through the vale, crossing the Merthyd by a bridge close to the church. Here are some elevated mountains, the loftiest of which is called Moel Howel.

(Copied using  the Cd published by Archive CD Books)


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Last updated : 8 July 2005  Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.