GENUKI Home page NeighboursNearby places
Radnorshire Radnorshire   Contents Contents

ST HARMON

"HARMON (ST.), a parish in the hundred of RHAIADR, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Rhaiadr, containing 828 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from that of the saint to whom its church is dedicated, is pleasantly situated on the river Wye, by which it is separated from the adjacent parish of Cwm-toyddwr, and is about four miles in length, and, across the centre, nearly the same in breadth. ................This place constitutes a prebend in the collegiate church of Brecknock, rated in the king's books at 3. 17. 3 1/2., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at 5. 15. 2 1/2., endowed with 800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Garmon, and rebuilt in the year 1823,...............There are places of worship for Anabaptists and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists ; and Sunday schools, in connexion with the established church and the several dissenting congregations, are supported by subscription. ...............the average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to 326. 4.........."( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Bibliography

Brown, Roger L. St. Harmon before and after Kilvert. Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 63 1993    Welsh Journals Online

Courtney, Paul. A native-Welsh mediaeval settlement : excavations at Beili Bedw, St. Harmon, Powys. Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies 38 (1991), p. 233-55

Fenn, R W D        Who was St Harmon?       Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 36 1966         Welsh Journals Online

Fox, Cyril           Dyrysgol, St Harmons             Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 10  1940       Welsh Journals Online

Pugh, Jonathan Argoed             The parish and place names of St Harman              Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 4 1934       Welsh Journals Online  

Thompson, Tim    Agriculture and change in a nineteenth century  Radnorshire valley    Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 69 1999    Welsh Journals Online

Williams, David H. A faithful vicar of St Harmon: the Reverend Jonah Bowen Evans B.D. Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 71 2001    Welsh Journals Online

Williams, David H. A neglected Radnorshire cleric : the Reverend Jonah Bowen Evans, B.D. ('Cattwg'), Vicar of St. Harmon, 1845-76. Journal of Welsh Religious History 1 (1993), p. 81-111

Church History

Church of St Harmon, St Harmon on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G   Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,  Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

St Harmon Parish consisting of the Townships of Cenarth; Clase and Rhiwrhiad; Statistics; Area 12000 acres; Population 464 males, 394 females, total 858

Church Records

Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

Description and Travel

Aerial photograph of Beili Bedw deserted settlement, St Harmon, 1998 - on the People's Collection Wales site

Gazetteers

History

Victorian Powys for schools site - Kilvert of St Harmon

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Maps

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Victorian Powys for schools site - Map of St Harmon in 1866

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

 

Return to top

St Harmon


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[ 21 Nov 2013 - Gareth Hicks]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI