[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"WHITTON, a parish in the hundred of Cefnllys, county Radnor, 5 miles N.W. of Presteign, on the river Lug. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's, value £130, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. David."
WHITTON, a parish in the hundred of KEVENLLEECE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (W. N. W.) from Presteign, containing 131 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the river Lug, is partly hilly and partly flat : the soil is light, and the inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture, in which they pursue the same improved system that is practised in the adjoining county of Hereford. The surrounding scenery, though not strikingly varied, is in general pleasing, and ornamented in some parts with patches of wood. The village is situated in a long and narrow valley, and has an air of pleasing seclusion and retirement. The petty sessions for the hundred are held here occasionally. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £4. 7. 11., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. David, is a small ancient edifice, with a low tower : it consists only of a nave and chancel, and is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. A school was founded in this parish, by Dame Child of Pilleth, who endowed it with lands now producing £ 100 per annum, for the gratuitous instruction of poor children of both parishes, and for apprenticing one child from each parish, to which latter purpose the sum of sixteen guineas from the endowment is annually appropriated. A Sunday school is supported by the minister's wife. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £ 110. 15.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)