Help and Advice for the UK and Ireland (Church Records)

Help with Family History problems

So you are having problems researching your family history. This is something that we all suffer from, and one of the best long-term ways of getting help is to join a Family History Society.

If you want an answer more quickly, then join one or more of the genealogy Mailing Lists serving your area(s) of interest. Your postings will be seen by all other subscribers to the list and one or more may be able to assist you; you may even find others with the same research interests as yourself.

Genealogical queries should NOT be sent to GENUKI maintainers.

Help with Surnames

A useful way of contacting others researching your surnames is to search the Roots Surname List, which has international coverage, and any Surnames Lists covering your area(s) of interest. You can, of course, submit your own surname interests to these lists.

You should also check to see if anyone is conducting a "One-Name" study on your surname(s) of interest. The Guild of One Name Studies (GOONS) website provides a Register of One-Name Studies.

Contributing information

If you want to supply information about your own family, or a link to your family web page, then I'm sorry but you're out of luck. We are trying to provide information which will be of general interest, and that would tend to be swamped by personal information. Links to personal pages are also a maintenance nightmare, as experience has shown that they change URLs or disappear quite frequently. I suggest you use the surname lists for this purpose.

Now if that hasn't put you off, it is quite likely that you may have information or know some basic facts that will be of interest to other people. If you have anything relating to the UK and Ireland (Church Records) and would like to make it available to others, then please get in touch using the form below.

It may be something you have written or some out-of-copyright material that you have transcribed which you think would be of interest - or just some little snippet of information such as the name of a book about the UK and Ireland (Church Records) or a web page we should link to. But please do remember, we are not interested in family-specific material, just material of general interest.

Reporting problems

If you have information to contribute, or you have found a problem on the UK and Ireland (Church Records) page, then please report it on the following form.

Send message to Brian Randell

The following header will appear at the start of the email, and your name and email address will be added at the end.

Dear Brian Randell,
This originates from the UK and Ireland (Church Records) page [].
Your name:
Your email address: