Hide

St Joseph, Drumhawnagh, Drumlumman, Roman Catholic

hide
Hide

Freestanding Romanesque style cruciform-plan double-height Roman Catholic church, built 1910, having four-bay nave, full-height polygonal chancel, two-bay transepts with lean-to side porches, sacristy to west, restored 1982. Pitched slate roof with crested terracotta ridge tiles, raised cut stone barges on corbelled kneelers with gablets having apex crosses, moulded render eaves course, square-profile cast-iron rainwater goods. Ruled-and-lined rendered walls having raised smooth rendered plinth. Angle buttresses to gable front, wall buttresses between nave bays and flanking transept gables. Round-headed windows with hood moulding block labels and chamfered sills. Oculi to apex of transept gables. Stained glass windows of 1982, historic stained glass windows to chancel. Round-arched door opening having hood moulding and moulded stepped reveals with engaged colonettes having foliated capitals, replacement timber glazed door, and approached by recent stone steps and ramp. Square-headed replacement doors to side porches. Interior having open truss roof with round arches flanking king-posts over arched braces on wall corbels. Timber stair to carved timber gallery with open trefoil arcade, recently remodelled enclosed porch beneath. Round chancel arch supported on marble double colonnettes with foliate capitals on corbels. Rebuilt reredos from Convent Chapel, Grenard. Marble clad altar, ambo, and chair. Set back from the road with braced steel belfry to south-east. Graveyard to north on site of earlier church, now demolished.

National Inventory of Architectural Heritage ]

Hide
topup

Description & Travel

topup

Maps

It is located at SA4101756358 (Lat/Lon 53.87876, -7.46452). You can see this on maps provided by:

topup

Memorial Inscriptions

Hide
hide