Hide

Old Lurgan, Unkown Denomination

hide
Hide

In a circular graveyard on a hill lie the fragments of the old church of Lurgan, which measured internally 49 x 21 ft. A barrel-vault was built on to the west end, when it was already ruined. The only architectural remains is a piece of a door-jamb in the graveyard. It is said that the church was in use until 1818, when most of it was carted away to build the church in Virginia. It is marked on Petty, but not on the Baronial or the Escheated Counties Maps. It is probable that a church was built in Virginia at the Plantation, as the place was intended to be a borough. The present site, rather outside the town, does not look suitable.

[The Churches of County Cavan, O. Davies, The Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, Vol. 78, No. 2 (Dec., 1948), pp. 112-113]

Hide
topup

Description & Travel

topup

Maps

It was located at SA6214852133 (Lat/Lon 53.855127, -7.139765). You can see this on maps provided by:

topup

Memorial Inscriptions

  • IGP with photos by Dave Hall
  • Journal of the Association for the Preservation of the Memorials of the Dead in Ireland, v.4, p.7
    • Dr. Daniel O'Reilly, Bishop of Clogher, is buried in the ruined cemetery of Lurgan, 2½ miles north of Virginia on the road to Ballyjamesduff, he being of the Castlelerahan O'Reilly, under a tomb bearing this epitaph:-
      "Hic jacent exuviæ Reverendissimi Domini Daniels O'Reilly, per triginta annos Catholici Clogherensis Episcopi. obiit 24 Martii Anno 1778 ætate 79."
Hide
hide