Hide

St Matthew, Stramatt, Lurgan, Roman Catholic

hide
Hide

Built to replace an earlier T-plan chapel located off the road in the nearby townland of Pollintemple, the design of this church has been attributed to both the Dublin architect John Ryan (fl.1850-1880), architect of St. Dymphna's Church in Lavey, and St. Joseph's Convent in Cavan town, and also to the noted Cavan architect William Hague (1836-1899). Unusually for Roman Catholic churches of this period the building has been purposely oriented east-west, at odds with a site not conducive to this layout, a conflict also seen at Hague's church of St Brigid in Killeshandra. The scale of the church is ambitious and represents a type of church built in the middle years of the nineteenth century following Catholic Emancipation, reflecting the increasing confidence of the Catholic Church. The church marks a clear departure from the more applied decorative Gothic style of the previous decades towards a more structurally considered interpretation, albeit in a simple form and with modest finishes. The sparse use of rendered buttresses and breakfront-like tower to the west is also seen at Laragh Catholic Church. Interior finishes are comparatively simple, enhanced by subsequent stained glass of elaborate design. The church stands in a prominent location and can be seen from the long straight main road to the east. Despite loss of its original roof profile it forms a strong landmark and is a key component of the architectural landscape of the area.

National Inventory of Architectural Heritage ]

Hide
topup

Maps

It is located at SA6874545244 (Lat/Lon 53.797696, -7.032441). You can see this on maps provided by:

Hide
hide