AUGHNISH, a parish, in the barony of KILMACRENAN, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, containing, with part of the post-town of Ramelton, 4937 inhabitants. This parish is situated on Lough Swilly, and on the road from Letterkenny to Rathmullen: it comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 9194½ statute acres, of which 8146 are applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3954 per annum. The land is principally arable and pasture, with a small quantity of bog; agriculture is improving, and the waste lands are being reclaimed. There are extensive bleach-greens and flour-mills belonging to Mr. Watts; and the parish is benefited by its vicinity to the river Lannon, which is navigable for vessels of 150 tons burden to Ramelton.
Fairs are held on the Tuesday after May 20th and Dec. 11th, and on the 17th of July; and petty sessions are held every alternate Thursday at Ramelton. The gentlemen's seats are Fort Stewart, the residence of Sir J. Stewart, Bart., and Shellfield, of N. Stewart, Esq.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Raphoe, united subsequently to the 15th of Jas. I. to the rectory of Tully or Tullaferne, together forming the union of Aughnish or Tullyaughnish, which is in the patronage of the Provost and Fellows of Trinity College, Dublin. The tithes amount to £509. 7. 4., and the entire tithes of the benefice to £1100. The church, which is at Ramelton, is a plain structure, rebuilt by aid of a gift of £200 and a loan of £800, in 1826, from the late Board of First Fruits, and a donation of £800 from the late Dr. Usher.
The glebe-house, in the centre of the parish, one mile from the church, was built in 1828, at an expense of £6000, of which £1384. 12. was a loan from the same Board, and the remainder was either charged on the revenues of the living or contributed by the incumbent.
The glebe lands in Aughnish consist of 389a. 3r., and in Tullaferne, of 512a. Or. 15p., each portion valued at 10s.
per acre. The R. C. parish is co-extensive, with that of the Established Church, and is one of those held by the Bishop of Raphoe; the chapel is a spacious building.
There is a place of worship for Presbyterians of the Synod of Ulster, of the first class, also for Seceders and Wesleyan Methodists. The parochial school is aided by Col.
Robertson's fund; and there are four other public schools: about 200 boys and 250 girls are taught in these schools, besides which there are about 150 boys and 60 girls educated in private schools, and there is a Sunday school at Glenlary. A school-house is in course of erection by the Synod of Ulster. There are also a dispensary, a loan fund, a fund for supplying flax, and a Ladies' Society. See RAMELTON.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
|Church Ruins, Ramelton, Church of Ireland|
|St Columbkille, Glanalla, Church of Ireland|
|St Paul, Ramelton, Church of Ireland|
|Back Lane, Ramelton, Methodist|
|1st Presbyterian (1), Ramelton, Presbyterian|
|1st Presbyterian (2), Ramelton, Presbyterian|
|2nd Presbyterian, Ramelton, Presbyterian|
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aughnish to another place.
The page for Aughnish from Donegal Genealogy Resources
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference C2427422988 (Lat/Lon: 55.053673, -7.620938), Aughnish which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
Aughnishand paste it along with the county name into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)