ARLESEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.
[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]
"ARLESEY, (or ARLSEY, or ARSLEY,) a parish and a village in Biggleswade district, Beds. The village stands on the river Hiz, a little E of the Great Northern railway, 4 miles ESE of Shefford; and it has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Baldock, and was formerly a market-town. The parish comprises 2,370 acres. Real property, £5,357. Pop., 1,401. Houses, 270. The property is divided among a few. An ancient castle stood at Etonbury, near the road to Baldock; and appears, from an entrenchment which still remains, to have been a place of considerable strength. The living is a vicarage, united with Astwick rectory, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £420. Patron, James Curtis, Esq. The church contains a sculptured font and ancient monuments, and is good. One of the monuments is to Richard Edwards, styled "the last grand reader" of the temple."
[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]