BARTON-IN-THE-CLAY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.
[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]
"BARTON-IN-THE-CLAY, a parish in Luton district, Beds; on the verge of the county, 7 miles N of Luton railway station. It has a post-office under Ampthill. Acres, 2,270. Real property, £3,400. Pop., 956. Houses, 210. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £400. Patron, the Crown. The church has a brass of a priest, and is good. There are a Baptist chapel, an endowed school with £50, and other charities with £33."
[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]