"BATTLESDEN, a parish in the hundred of Manshead, in the county of Bedford, 3 miles to the south east of Woburn. The Roman road called Watling Street passes through it. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, united with the rectory of Potsgrove, of the value of £509, in the patronage of the trustees of Sir G. Page Turner, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. Battlesden Park, formerly the seat of the Bathursts, who take from this place the title of Baron, was purchased by Sir Gregory Page, Bart., in 1724, and is now the seat of his descendant, Sir E. H. P. Turner."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- The 1851 Census Index for Battlesden can be found in the 1851 Index to Census of Bedfordshire, Volume 5, Book 1 available from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- There are photographs and a description of St Peter and All Saints on the Bedfordshire Parish Churches website.
- Church of England
- The church of St. Peter is an interesting structure of the 15th century, chiefly Perpendicular, and consisting of chancel and nave and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: in 1868 the chancel was re-covered with a pointed roof in place of the old debased Tudor roof, and the nave restored and reseated: on each side of the east window are two fine brackets, slightly varying, with figures of angels with wings displayed: the font is Early English: here are monuments to the Duncombes, and a memorial window to the Page-Turner family: in 1898 the tower was repaired, and new battlements placed around the church: there are 80 sittings. The register dates from the year 1719. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Church of England
- The parish record transcripts for St Peter are available on microfiche for the period 1719-1812 from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- A transcript of the Battlesden parish entries from Stephen Whatley's 1750 Topographical Gazetteer of England,
- A transcript of the Battlesden parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Battlesden parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Battlesden parish entries from The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1866-9
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Battlesden to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP959292 (Lat/Lon: 51.953032, -0.605947), Battlesden which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Battlesden War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it.