Hide

Bedford St Mary

hide
Hide
hide
Hide

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"BEDFORD ST. MARY, a parish in the town of Bedford."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
Hide
topup

Churches

  • St. Mary's Church, Bedford.
topup

Church History

  • Church of England
    • St. Mary's Church is an ancient building of stone, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, transepts, north and west porches and an embattled eastern tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells: the tower is a very good example of Norman work: the north aisle was built of the materials of a church called St. Peter Dunstable, which formerly stood in St. Mary's square: in 1853 a vestry and south aisle were added by subscription: the stained east and west windows are memorials and there are numerous mural tablets: in 1882 the chancel roof was renewed by the present rector, and one window of the chancel re-opened and restored: the mortuary chapel, on the north side of the chancel, was also enlarged, and new roofed, and is now used as an organ chamber: the church plate includes a chalice, dated 1570, and a paten, dated 1685: the church will seat 550 persons, including 100 children. The register dates from the year 1540. The living is a rectory, yearly value £436, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Lincoln (two turns), and of Balliol College, Oxford (one turn), and held since 1895 by the Rev. George Henry Pratt M.A. of Wadham College, Oxford. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
topup

Church Records

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL051494 (Lat/Lon: 52.132918, -0.465922), Bedford St Mary which are provided by: