Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Bolnhurst

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.


Primary tabs

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"BOLNHURST, a parish in the hundred of Stodden, in the county of Bedford, 6 miles to the north of Bedford, its post town. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £159, in the patronage of the Rev. H. W. Gery. The church is dedicated to St. Dunstan. The charitable endowments of the parish, including £12, the income of the free school founded in 1791, produce about £15 per annum."

"MAVOURN, a farm house in the parish of Bolnhurst, county of Bedfordshire, 2½ miles south west of Bolnhurst. This house is on the site of a moated Manor House."

"PARK END, a small hamlet in the parish of Bolnhurst, county of Bedfordshire, 3 miles south west of Bolnhurst."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013




Church History

  • Church of England
    • The church of St. Dunstan is a building of stone in the Early Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, porch, vestry and a tower containing 4 bells, the 2nd and 3rd are each dated 1587 and the tenor 1618, with an inscription. The late Mrs. Wade-Gery, to whose memory the stained east window was inserted, was interred in the vestry: the church contains monuments and stained windows to the Francklin and the Harvey families: in the nave is a marble tablet to the Francklin family, dated 1707: a beautiful carved screen divides the nave and chancel, and on one of the walls is a fresco of St. Christopher bearing the infant Christ: the chancel was completely restored and the roof re-covered with oak and lead in 1884; the walls and porch were also repaired. The register dates from the year 1685. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]

Church Records



Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bolnhurst to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.


Military History