[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"CADDINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Dacorum, in the county of Hertford, but extending into the hundred of Flitt, in the county of Bedford, 2 miles to the west of Luton, its post town. The Dunstable branch of the Great Northern railway passes near it. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £319, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, London. The church, which stands in Bedfordshire, is dedicated to All Saints, and contains two monumental brasses. There is a district church at Market Street, the living of which is a curacy, worth £227, in the gift of D. G. Ady, Esq. Market Street, on the Hertfordshire side of the parish, was the site of a Benedictine priory, called Markgate Cell, founded by Geoffrey, Abbot of St. Alban's, about the middle of the 12th century, and which was valued at the Dissolution at £115. The charitable endowments of the parish, consisting chiefly of the revenue of the grammar school, amount to about £150 per annum."
"ALEY GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Caddington, county Herts, 1 mile south of Caddington."
"CHAUL END, a village in the parish of Caddington, in the county of Bedford, 2 miles west of Luton, 1 mile north west of Caddington."
"MARKYATE, (anciently, Market Street), a chapelry in the parishes of Caddington, Flamstead, and Studham, partly in the hundred of Dacorum, county Herts, and partly in that of Manshead, county Beds, 3 miles south east of Luton. This place was anciently called Merkgate, and comprises three hamlets On a hill where now stands an ancient mansion called "The Priory" was formerly a Benedictine nunnery founded in 1145 by Geoffrey, Abbot of St. Albans, on land given by the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, London. Its revenue at the Dissolution was £143 138. 8d., when the site was given to G. Ferrers. In the village, which consists of one long street facing, the road from London to Birmingham, several industries are carried on, as the manufacture of hats, bonnets, and straw plait. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ely, value £227. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is situated in the Priory Park, and was erected about the middle of the last century. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Baptists. The charities consist of £138 per annum, belonging to the grammar school. There is a National school.
"PEPPERSTOCK, a hamlet in the parish of Caddington, in the county of Bedford, 2 miles west of Luton, 2 miles south east of Caddington."
"SLIP END, a hamlet in the parish of Caddington, county of Bedfordshire, 1½ miles south east of Caddington"
"WOODSIDE, a hamlet in the parish of Caddington, county of Bedfordshire, 1 mile south east of Caddington."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013