CARDINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.
[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]
"CARDINGTON, a parish and a village in the district and county of Bedford. The village stands on an affluent of the river Ouse, adjacent to the Midland railway, 2½ miles SE of Bedford; and has a station on the railway. The parish includes also the township of East Cotts. Post-town, Bedford. Acres, 5,170. Real property, £9,079. Pop., 1,419. Houses, 275. Cardington House is the seat of the Whitbreads; and was, for some years, the residence of the philanthropist Howard. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £245. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is good; and contains two brasses, a monument by Bacon to Samuel Whitbread, Esq., and a tablet to Howard. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £28.""EASTCOTTS, a township in Cardington parish, Beds; near the Midland railway, 3½ miles SE of Bedford. Real property, £4,594. Pop., 847. Houses, 172."
[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]