[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"CARLTON, a parish in the hundred of Willey, in the county of Bedford, 1 mile from Harrold. Olney is its post town. It lies near the river Ouse. The living is a rectory consolidated with that of Chellington, in the diocese of Ely, value £370, in the patronage of Lord Dynevor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary."
The church of St. Mary the Virgin, situated about a quarter of a mile from the, village, is, a stone building, in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, with some, traces of Norman work, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, containing 4 bells: the font is Transitional, with rude interlaced carving and cable moulding round the basin, and is supported on tall circular columns: the Perpendicular chancel screen, though mutilated, remains, and there is a piscina; north of the chancel was once a chapel : there is a small inscribed brass to Joane Goddard, 1610, and inscribed stones to Thomas Wells, rector, 1642, aged about 100," Rev. Benjamin Rogers, 50 years rector, 1771, and Rev. Henry John Ellman, rector, 1829-62 : there are 140 sittings. The register dates from the year 1554. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
Carlton with Chellington. This site is run by the Carlton and Chellington Parish Council. It contains information for those living here, those interested in moving here and those interested in visiting our village.