"CHELLINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Willey, in the county of Bedford, 1 mile south east of Harrold, and 8 north west of Bedford. It is bounded on the west and north by the river Ouse. The living is a rectory annexed to the rectory of Carlton, in the diocese of Ely, value together, £370, in the patronage of Lord Dynevor. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a stone edifice. Here the Baptists have a place of worship. The manorial rights are vested in the trustees of the Dynevor family."
"BRIDGE END, a hamlet in the parish of Chellington, county of Bedfordshire, adjoining Chellington to the north."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- The 1851 Census Index for Chellington can be found in the 1851 Index to Census of Bedfordshire, Volume 1, Book 2 available from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- Church of England
- The church of St. Nicholas, pleasantly situated on the summit of a hill, is a building of stone, in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, south porch and a Decorated western tower with broach spire, containing 4 bells: the font, Early English, is a cylindrical basin on circular shafts: there is a parish chest, dated 1667; and inscriptions to William Chaderton A.M. 1724; Rev. Thomas Chaderton A.M. 1735, and to the Bamford family : in the churchyard is a tomb to Sir Robert Darling kt. who, as a boy, it is said, used to keep cows on Chellington Hill; in 1767 he was sheriff of London and Middlesex and in 1768 was elected M.P. for Wendover, as the colleague of Burke; he died 4th August, 1770: the church was restored in 1869 and 1892, and affords 140 sittings. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Church of England
- The parish record transcripts for All Saints are available on microfiche for the period 1667?-1812 from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- Carlton with Chellington. This site is run by the Carlton and Chellington Parish Council. It contains information for those living here, those interested in moving here and those interested in visiting our village.
- A transcript of the Chellington parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Chellington parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Chellington parish entries from The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1866-9
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Chellington to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP957558 (Lat/Lon: 52.192145, -0.601406), Chellington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)