Hide

CLAPHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.

hide
Hide
Hide

[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]

"CLAPHAM, a parish in the district and county of Bedford; on the river Ouse, and on the Hitchin and Leicester railway, near Oakley railway station, 2¼ miles NNW of Bedford. It has a post-office under Bedford. Acres, 1,982. Real property, £3,358. Pop., 502. Houses, 129. The property is much subdivided. Clapham Park is the seat of Earl Ashburnham; and was the place of Dr. Hammond's imprisonment in 1648. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £270. Patron, Lord John Thynne. The church has an early Norman tower, and was recently in disrepair. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £50."

[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]