"COLMWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Barford, in the county of Bedford, 6 miles south west of St. Neot's, its post town, and the same distance south of Kimbolton. It is situated on a branch of the river Ouse. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £179, in the patronage of the Rev. R. W. Gory. The church, dedicated to St. Dennis, is a neat structure in the early English style of architecture, with a handsome spire. It contains a monumental brass of the year 1380. There are National schools for both sexes. Mrs. S. Elye is lady of the manor."
"CHANNEL'S END, a hamlet in the parish of Colmworth, county of Bedfordshire, 2½ miles south south east of Colmworth."
"CHAPEL END, a hamlet in the parish of Colmworth, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile south west of Colmworth."
"CHURCH END, a hamlet in the parish of Colmworth, county of Bedfordshire, adjoining Colmworth to the north."
"DUCK'S CROSS, a hamlet in the parish of Colmworth, county of Bedfordshire, 2¾ miles south south east of Colmworth."
"MILL END, a small hamlet in the parish of Colmworth, county of Bedfordshire, 2 miles south east of Colmworth."
"ROOTHAM'S GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Colmworth, county of Bedfordshire, 1½ mile south of Colmworth."
"THE CITY, a hamlet in the parish of Colmworth, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile north of Colmworth."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- The 1851 Census Index for Colmworth can be found in the 1851 Index to Census of Bedfordshire, Volume 2, Book 3 available from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- I found it impossible to get far enough away from the Parish Church to take a good photograph. The Church is surrounded by trees and totally hidden from the road - not unusual for a Bedfordshire church!
- The Faith Mission Church, Colmworth. (ex Primitive Methodist Chapel)
- There are photographs and a description of St Denys's on the Bedfordshire Parish Churches website.
- Church of England
- The church of St. Denis is a building of the Perpendicular period consisting of chancel and nave, and a western tower with lofty and elegant spire, containing 4 bells : north of the chancel is a vestry, with a double piscina, and another remains in the chancel: in the church is a splendid monument of black and white marble to Sir William Dyer, his lady and family, dated 1641; and a brass to the wife of Sir Gerrard Braybrook, dated 1389: an organ was placed in the church in 1879, at a cost of £130, and heating stoves by John Morrison esq. late of Bushmead Priory: the silver communion cup is dated 1731. The stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. John Gladstone and Mary Ann, his wife, erected in 1893 by their daughter, Mrs. A. M. Allen, and there is another memorial window to the Rev. Robert Wade-Gery M.A. rector here, 1830-68, erected in 1893 by his surviving children. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1735, marriages, 1736. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1866. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Church of England
- The parish record transcripts for St.Denis are available on microfiche for the period 1735-1812 from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- A transcript of the Colmworth parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Colmworth parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Colmworth parish entries from The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1866-9
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Colmworth to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL108586 (Lat/Lon: 52.214484, -0.379679), Colmworth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Colmworth War Memorials and the Roll of Honour transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it.
- The Colmworth and neighbours History Society try to promote an interest in history, and particularly local history, though regular, monthly meetings and also through our Research Group.