CRANFIELD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.
[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]
"CRANFIELD, a parish, a village, and a sub-district in Ampthill district, Beds. The village stands near the boundary with Bucks, 3½ miles NW of Lidlington railway station, and 6 NW by W of Ampthill; has a post-office under Newport-Pagnell; and gave the title of Baron to the Duke of Dorset. The parish comprises 3,500 acres. Real property, 6,519. Pop., 1,591. Houses, 315. The property is divided among a few. The parish is a meet for the Oakley hounds. There is a mineral spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £376. Patron, James C. Harter, Esq. The church is a large, handsome, old edifice, with a tower; but was recently in disrepair. There are a Baptist chapel, a school, with £18, alms-houses, with £60, and other charities with £28. The sub-district contains three parishes. Acres, 10,191. Pop., 3,706. Houses, 753."
[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]