EATON-SOCON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.
[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]
"EATON-SOCON, a parish in the district of St. Neots and county of Bedford; at the verge of the county, on the river Ouse and the Great Northern railway, 1½ mile SW of St. Neots. It contains Wyboston and the St. Neots workhouse; and has a post-office under St. Neots. Acres, 7,530. Real property, £13,899. Pop., 2,766. Houses, 583. The property is much subdivided. A castle of the Beauchamps formerly stood here; and an Augustinian priory was founded by two of them, in the time of Henry II., at Bushmead, 4¼ miles W of St. Neots. The priory was given, in 1537, to Sir William Gascoyne; and only the refectory of it now exists; but a mansion bears its name, and is the seat of the Gerys. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, 439. Patron, J. G. Atkinson, Esq. The church has a fine tower and two brasses, and is tolerably good. Charities, £20."
[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]