Hide

Eversholt

hide
Hide

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"EVERSHOLT, a parish in the hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 2 miles S.E. of Woburn, its post town. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £600. The church is an old edifice, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and has an ancient font and several monuments. The parochial endowments produce about £140 per annum, £10 of which are for education. There is a National school for boys, girls, and infants. The Duke of Bedford is lord of the manor. Eversholt is a scattered village and so the following descriptions take Witts End as being the centre of the village:"

The 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Eversholt is to be found on a supplementary page.

  • Brook End
  • Church End
  • Froxfield
  • Higher Berry End
  • Higher Rads End
  • Hills End
  • Lower Berry End
  • Lower Rads End
  • Potters End
  • Tyrells End
  • Wakes End
  • Water End
  • Witts End

    [Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
    by Colin Hinson ©2013
    Hide
    topup

    Census

    topup

    Churches

    topup

    Church History

    • Church of England
      • The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of stone in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles and a western embattled tower containing 6 bells : the north aisle projects one bay beyond the nave, and opens into the chancel by a Decorated arch, on one side of which is a piscina: there is another in the south aisle and a third in the chancel : the monuments include one to the Hon. Frances Ongley, eldest daughter of Samuel Henley, first Baron Ongley, of Old Warden, a title which became extinct in 1877 ; Mrs. Elizabeth Hyde, sister of the Bishop of St, David's, and Mrs. Sarah. Hodgkinson : on the wall of the vestry is a boar's head carved in stone, the name Eversholt signifying " the hold of the wild boar : the church underwent a complete restoration in 1864, under the direction of the late Sir G. G. Scott R.A. at a cost of about £3,000, and will seat 300 persons. The register dates from the year 1628. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
    topup

    Church Records

    topup

    Gazetteers

    topup

    Maps

    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP990329 (Lat/Lon: 51.985745, -0.559788), Eversholt which are provided by:

    topup

    Military History

    • The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Eversholt War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it