"EVERTON, a parish in the hundred of Biggleswade, county Bedford, 6 miles N.E. of Biggleswade, and 11 east of Bedford. Potton is its post town, and the Sandy station on the Great Northern railway is about 3 miles south west of the village. It is situated on the borders of Cambridge, a portion of the parish being in that county. The village is very small. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value with the vicarage of Tetworth annexed, £200, in the patronage of Clare Hall, Cambridge. The church is a small building, dedicated to St. Mary. The charities amount to about £6 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. There are two manors in the parish-Everton and Tetworth. Stephen and Edward Thornton, Esqs., are lords of the first, and the Hon. Octavius Duncombe lord of the latter."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- There are photographs and a description of St Mary the Virgin on the Bedfordshire Parish Churches website.
- A transcript of the Everton parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Everton parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Everton parish entries from The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1866-9
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Everton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL200511 (Lat/Lon: 52.145163, -0.247739), Everton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)