"FLITTON, a parish and township in the hundred of Flitt, county Bedford, 3 miles south east of Ampthill, and 10 south east of Bedford. It is situated on the river Ivel, and includes the township of Silsoe, its post town. The soil is a sandy loam, and is divided between arable and pasture. In this parish is Pullox Hill, where a goldmine was discovered in the last century, but was abandoned as being unproductive. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £234, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. The church is a handsome Gothic structure, dedicated to St. John, and contains tombs and monuments of the De Greys and other families; also four brasses, one of which is a figure in brass of Thomas Hill, who died in 1601 at the age of 128 years. There is also a district church at Silsoe, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £150. The parochial charities produce over £70 per annum. Earl De Grey is lord of the manor. The tithes were commuted for land and corn rents under an Enclosure Act in 1809."
"GREENFIELD, a hamlet in the parishes of Flitton and Pulloxhill, county of Bedfordshire, ¾ mile south west of Flitton."
"SILSOE, (or Wrest), the park of Earl de Grey, in the parish of Flitton, county Beds, 4 miles south west of Shefford. It is situated near the river Ivel, and contains a collection of historical portraits.
"WARDHEDGES, a hamlet in the parish of Flitton, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile east of Flitton."
"WORTHY END, a single house in the parish of Flitton, county of Bedfordshire, 2 miles south west of Flitton."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- The 1851 Census Index for Flitton can be found in the 1851 Index to Census of Bedfordshire, Volume 4, Book 3 available from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- There are photographs and a description of St John the Baptist on the Bedfordshire Parish Churches website.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- The Church of St. John the Baptist, Flitton
- Church of England
- The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of sandstone in the Late Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and an embattled tower containing 5 bells : here is the mausoleum of the De Gray family, containing many splendid monuments, dating from the 16th century. The register dates from the year 1583. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- There is a Wesleyan chapel at Greenfield. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Church of England
- The parish record transcripts for St John the Baptist are available on microfiche for the period 1583-1812 from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- A transcript of the Flitton parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Flitton parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Flitton parish entries from The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1866-9
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Flitton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL059358 (Lat/Lon: 52.010538, -0.458454), Flitton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Flitton & Greenfield War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it