GREAT BARFORD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.
[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]
"GREAT BARFORD, a parish in the district and county of Bedford; on the river Ouse, 3 miles NNW of Sandy railway station, and 6 E by N of Bedford. It has a post-office under St. Neot's. Acres, 2,830. Real property, £4,679. Pop., 907. Houses, 198. The property is subdivided. The river Ouse here is crossed by a bridge of about the beginning of the 15th century, and is navigable. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Roxton, in the diocese of Ely. The church has a tower at the W end, and is good. There is a Wesleyan chapel."
[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]