"HAYNES, (or Hawnes), a parish in the hundred of Flitt, county Bedford, 6 miles south east of Bedford, its post town, and 3 north east of Ampthill. It is a small but increasing village. The land is partly in common. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £524 13s. 4d. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £373. The church is an ancient structure dedicated to St. Mary, and has a tower containing four bells. It has been thoroughly restored, with the addition of a new side aisle. The interior contains an oriel window representing the Crucifixion and a new vault of the late Lord Carteret and his family. The parochial charities produce about £6 2s. per annum, distributed to the poor in bread. There is a National school for both sexes. Hawnes Park is the principal residence. [On maps of the 19th century, Church End was marked as Haynes. On later maps Northwood End is marked as Haynes and Church End has become Haynes Church End. Colin Hinson 2010]
"DEADMAN'S CROSS, a hamlet in the parish of Haynes, county of Bedfordshire, 1 mile east of Haynes."
"HAYNES CHURCH END, a village in the parish of Haynes, county of Bedfordshire, 1 mile south east of Haynes."
"HAYNES WEST END, a hamlet in the parish of Haynes, 1 mile south east of Church End."
"SILVER END, a hamlet in the parish of Haynes, county of Bedfordshire, ¼ mile north east of Northwood End, 1¼ miles north east of Haynes Church End. There is here a Methodist Chapel."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- The 1851 Census Index for Haynes can be found in the 1851 Index to Census of Bedfordshire, Volume 4, Book 2 available from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- There are photographs and a description of St Mary's on the Bedfordshire Parish Churches website.
- Church of England
- The church of St. Mary, rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, and enlarged in 1850 by the late Rev. Lord John Thynne D.D. d. 9 Feb. 1881, is an elegant structure in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, memorial chapel to Anne Constantia (Beresford) wife of Lord John Thynne, nave, aisles, with vestry beyond, south porch and an embattled tower: at the north side of the chancel there are three stained window and one in the west end of the church in memory of Mrs. Thynne, besides one in the south of the chancel in memory of the Rev. Arthur E. D. Osborne B.A. vicar 1878-87: the church is uniformly seated with oak benches: beneath the south aisle is the vault of the Carteret family. The register dates from the year 1596. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Here are Wesleyan and Baptist chapels. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Church of England
- The parish record transcripts for St. Mary are available on microfiche for the period 1596-1812 from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- A transcript of the Haynes parish entries from Stephen Whatley's 1750 Topographical Gazetteer of England,
- A transcript of the Haynes parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Haynes parish entries from The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1866-9
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Haynes to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL097421 (Lat/Lon: 52.066419, -0.401092), Haynes which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Haynes War Memorial transcription with details of the men found on it.