HENLOW: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1864.
[Transcribed information from Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire - 1864]
"HENLOW, a parish, a village and railway station, 36 miles from London, 12 south-east from Bedford, 2½ south-east from Shefford, and 4½ south-west from Biggleswade, in the hundred of Clifton, union and county court district of Biggleswade, rural deanery of Shefford, archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Mary is a stone building, very picturesquely situated with fine tower. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, value £300, with residence; the Rev. Hugh Seymour Yates, M.A., is the incumbent. The Grange, the seat of Major-General H. Raynsford, is a fine mansion, standing in a well wooded park. The Countess Cowper is lady of the De Grey manor, and General Raynsford lord of Henlow Warden & Lanthony. The population in 1861 was 1,011; the acreage is 2,912. The soil is clay and gravel."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2013]
[from Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1864]