"HOCKLIFFE, a parish in the hundred of Manshead, county Beds, 3 miles north-east of Leighton-Buzzard, and 5 south of Woburn. It is a small village, extending near a mile long. Here was anciently an hospital founded in the reign of John. It is a meet for Baron Rothschild's hounds, whose scent is said to be spoiled by the buns grown here. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £302. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an ancient structure with a square embattled tower containing three bells. The Wesleyans and Independents have places of worship, and there is a National school for children of both sexes. The Grange is the principal residence. Millard Adams, Esq., is lord of the manor."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- The 1851 Census Index for Hockliffe can be found in the 1851 Index to Census of Bedfordshire, Volume 5, Book 2 available from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- Church of England
- The parish church of St. Nicholas, which occupies a commanding site upon the rising ground, off the Walling Street, to the north-west of the village, dates probably from the 13th century; the present structure is mainly of the latter part of the 15th century and consists of chancel, nave, north chapel and vestry, south porch and a western embattled tower containing 4 bells : it was restored, repaired and reseated and the nave and chancel almost rebuilt in 1861: the font door is an arched recess for the holy water stoup : there is an Easter sepulchre in the north wall of the sanctuary and a piscina in the south wall, both of the Perpendicular period :. the sedilia, adjoining the piscina, appear to be of an earlier period, possibly of the 13th century: the oak reredos was erected by the Rev. F. H. Gray, rector 1869- 87 : the stained east window was placed in 1870 and there are two other stained windows : an organ was erected in 1873 by public subscription. The registers date from the year 1620. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Here are Congregational, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Church of England
- The parish record transcripts for St. Nicholas are available on microfiche for the period 1620-1812 from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- A transcript of the Hockliffe parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Hockliffe parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Hockliffe parish entries from The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1866-9
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hockliffe to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP971268 (Lat/Lon: 51.931253, -0.589168), Hockliffe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)