HOCKLIFFE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.
[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]
"HOCKLIFFE, a parish and a village in Woburn district, Beds. The village stands 4 miles ENE of Leighton-Buzzard railway station, and 4¼ NW of Dunstable; consists of one street, about a mile long; and has a post-office under Leighton-Buzzard. The parish comprises 1,021 acres. Real property, £2,643. Pop., 416. Houses, 86. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to M. Adams, Esq. The Grange is the seat of Col. R. T. Gilpin. An ancient hospital, for a master and several brethren, was at the village. The parish is a meet for the Rothschild hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £350. Patron, the Rev. J. S. Neumann. The church is ancient; consists of nave and chancel, with embattled tower; and recently was mainly rebuilt and partly restored. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, a national school, and a school endowment of £30 a-year."
[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]