Hide

Holwell, Bedfordshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1866.

hide
Hide
Hide

HOLWELL:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.

[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]

"HOLWELL, a parish in the district of Hitchin and county of Bedford; on the Midland railway, adjacent to Herts, near Henlow railway station, and 3½ miles NNW of Hitchin. Post-town, Hitchin. acres, 650. Real property, £845. Pop., 191. Houses, 41. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to F. D. Radcliffe, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £120. Patron, F. D. Radcliffe, Esq. The church is ancient, and was repaired in 1845. Rand's charity yields £105 a-year, and supports a school and alms-houses."

[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]