[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"HOUGHTON-CONQUEST, a parish in the hundred of Redbornstoke, county Bedford, 3 miles north of Ampthill, its post town, and 6 south of Bedford. It is a small agricultural village, with some remains of the old seat of the Conquests, in which they received James L in 1605. The mansion was first erected by Sydney's sister, from a design in the "Arcadia;" it was afterwards altered by Inigo Jones for the Earl of Ailesbury, and subsequently by Chambers for the Duke of Bedford. The living is a rectory* annexed to that of Houghton Gildable, in the diocese of Ely, value £828, in the patronage of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. James, has a tower containing six bells. It was thoroughly restored in 1845, and contains a monument to Dr. Zachary Grey, editor of "Hudibras," and a commentator on Shakspeare. The charities produce about £86 per annum, of which £68 goes to Clarke's school and almshouses. Houghton Park is situated a short distance S.W. of the village, but the famous mansion of the earls of Elgin and Ailesbury is now destroyed. The Duke of Bedford is lord of the manor."
"CHAPEL END, a small hamlet in the parish of Houghton Conquest, in county Bedfordshire, 1 mile north east of Houghton Conquest."
"DUCK END, a hamlet in the parish of Houghton Conquest, in county Bedfordshire, ½ mile north west of Houghton Conquest."
"HAWHILLS, a hamlet in the parish of Houghton Conquest, in county Bedfordshire, 1½ mile south east of Houghton Conquest."
"HOW END, a hamlet in the parish of Houghton Conquest, in county Bedfordshire, 1½ mile south west of Houghton Conquest."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013