KEYSOE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.
[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]
"KEYSOE, a parish and a village in the district and county of Bedford. The village stands 4 miles SSW of Kimbolton, and 5½ ENE of Sharnbrook railway station; was anciently called Caissot; is a very scattered place, connected at the ends with Keysoe-Row and Brook-End; and has a post-office under St. Neots. The parish comprises 3,564 acres. Real property, £4,023. Pop., 867. Houses, 186. The property is subdivided. The principal manor belongs to John S. Crawley, Esq. A broken piece of ground in the NE is thought to have been the site of a Roman0-British town. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £225. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is decorated and later English, in good condition; consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with W tower and spire; and contains an early English font and a piscina. There are Baptist chapels at Keysoe-Row and Brook-End, and a national school."
[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]