"KNOTTING, a parish in the hundred of Stodden, county Bedford, 2 miles north of Sharnbrook, its post town, 10 north of Bedford, and 4½ south east of Higham Ferrers. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The land is partly in common and wood. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £319 18s. The living is a rectory* united with that of Souldrop, in the diocese of Ely, joint value £275. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is a small edifice with a square tower. The Duke of Bedford is lord of the manor."
"KNOTTING GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Knotting, half a mile south of Knotting. There is here a Wesleyan Chapel."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- The 1851 Census Index for Knotting can be found in the 1851 Index to Census of Bedfordshire, Volume 1, Book 1 available from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- There are photographs and a description of St Margaret's on the Bedfordshire Parish Churches website.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- The Church of St. Margaret of Antioch, Knotting
- Church of England
- The church of St. Margaret is a small edifice of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, with, Decorated insertions, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch, chapel and a small western tower containing a clock and one bell: the chancel arch is Norman, with zigzag mouldings : on the parapet of the tower is the date 1615, and a roof beam of the nave is dated 1669: there are about 70 sittings. The register dates from about the year 1592. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Here is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Church of England
- The parish record transcripts for St Margaret are available on microfiche for the period 1592-1812 from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- A transcript of the Knotting parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Knotting parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Knotting parish entries from The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1866-9
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Knotting to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL002634 (Lat/Lon: 52.259651, -0.533349), Knotting which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Knotting War Memorial