"LIDLINGTON, (or Litlington), a parish in the hundred of Redbornestoke, county Bedford, 3½ miles north west of Ampthill. It is a station on the Bletchley and Bedford branch of the London and North-Western railway. The manor of Goldington, in this parish, was for many generations the seat of the Goldington family. The village is chiefly agricultural. The impropriation belongs to the Duke of Bedford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £88. The church, dedicated to All Saints, contains an ancient tomb with the brass effigy of a knight in armour. The Wesleyans have a place of worship, and there is a school with a small endowment.
"BOUGHTON END, a hamlet in the parish of Lidlington, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile south of Lidlington."
"SHEEPSTICK END, a hamlet in the parish of Lidlington, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile north west of Lidlington."
"THRUP END, a farm house in the parish of Lidlington, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile north of Lidlington."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- The 1851 Census Index for Lidlington can be found in the 1851 Index to Census of Bedfordshire, Volume 3, Book 3 available from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- There are photographs and a description of St Margaret's on the Bedfordshire Parish Churches website.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- St. Margaret's Church, Lidlington
- Church of England
- The old church of St. Margaret, prettily situated on a hill, is an edifice of brick and stone, consisting of chancel and nave end a tower containing 1 bell: in the church are two ancient memorial tablets of the Platt family, a stone inscribed to Richard Jones, citizen and grocer of London, 1669, and a mutilated brass, with figures : in the churchyard is an elegant marble tomb to Mrs. William Charles Cavendish Bentinck, of Ridgmont: this church is now used for burial purposes only. The new church of Lidlington, given to the parish by the 9th Duke of Bedford, and opened in Nov. 1886, is of sandstone in the Early Decorated style, and consists of chancel, transepts and nave: there are 400 sittings. The register dates prior to the year 1554. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Church of England
- The parish record transcripts for St Margaret are available on microfiche for the period 1554-1812 from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- A charity given by Thomas Johnson is partly for the education and clothing for six aged men and women, but a portion of the income, amounting to about £45 yearly, is devoted to various charitable purposes. Some of the inhabitants are engaged in lace making. The Duke of Bedford is lord of the manor and chief landowner. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- A transcript of the Lidlington parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Lidlington parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Lidlington parish entries from The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1866-9
- A transcript of the Lidlington parish entries from Kelly's 1898 Directory of Bedfordshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lidlington to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP988391 (Lat/Lon: 52.041505, -0.560912), Lidlington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)