Hide

LIDLINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.

hide
Hide
Hide

[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]

"LIDLINGTON,a parish and a village in Ampthill district, Beds. The village stands adjacent to the Bedford and Bletchley railway, 3 miles W by N of Ampthill; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Ampthill. - The parish comprises 2,520 acres. Real property, £4,050. Pop., 845. Houses, 179. The property is divided among a few. The manor and most of the land belong to the Duke of Bedford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £174. Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is finely situated; but from the nature of the foundation, is unsafe. The churchyard contains a marble monument to Mrs. W. C. C. Bentinck. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and charities £45."

[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]